London Manchester Online Book Now

How to get an EHCP for ADHD

If you’re a young person under the age of 25 in education, or if you’re the parent of a child in education, you may have heard of an EHCP. It’s a type of plan that is put in place to help those with additional learning needs acquire the support they need in an educational setting.
London  |  Manchester  |  Online
Book Now  |  0800 061 4276

How to get an EHCP for ADHD


If you’re a young person under the age of 25 in education, or if you’re the parent of a child in education, you may have heard of an EHCP. It’s a type of plan that is put in place to help those with additional learning needs acquire the support they need in an educational setting.

For students with ADHD, an EHCP may be necessary to help them flourish whilst studying, but it isn’t the case for everyone with ADHD. In this article, we’re going to look at EHCPs in more detail and explain who they’re suitable for and how to get one if you think you or your child may benefit from it.

What is an EHCP?

An EHCP, also known as an EHC or an EHC Needs Assessment, is an education, health and care plan. It used to be called a ‘Statement of Special Educational Needs’. In essence, an EHCP is a legally binding document that details the additional educational, healthcare, and (where applicable) social care needs of a young person. An EHCP is for young people in education under the age of 25 who require added support, such as in the form of one-to-one help.

In addition to help at school and in lessons, students who have an EHCP will likely also receive other types of help, including sensory impairment support and behavioural therapies. The support and guidance offered under an EHCP is often beyond the realms of the normal capabilities the school can provide, and therefore third-party agencies are typically brought in to help.

An EHCP is different to SEN (special educational needs support) which is offered by every school. SEN support is put in place by the educational establishment themselves and third parties are not usually involved. An example of SEN might be speech therapy. On the other hand, an EHCP is put in place for those who need more assistance that mainstream schools can’t provide on their own. You can access an EHCP if you can prove that SEN support is not enough by itself.

Typically speaking, an EHCP comprises 12 core pieces of information:

  1. The views of the young person for whom the EHCP is for, as well as their core interests and any aspirations and ambitions they have.
  2. What the special educational needs or disabilities are.
  3. Any health needs related to the additional needs or disabilities.
  4. Any social care needs related to the additional needs or disabilities.
  5. What the desired and/or planned outcomes are.
  6. What adaptations, reasonable adjustments or provisions may be made to cater to the special educational needs or disabilities of the young person.
  7. What healthcare provisions may be made.
  8. What social care provisions may be made.
  9. Any other additional provisions that may be made.
  10. The name and details of the educational establishment where the young person is studying.
  11. Information about the young person’s personal budget (money that can be paid to the young person or parent, to the school, or to a third party to pay for additional services and support).
  12. Any additional advice as a result of the EHCP assessment process.

For young people who are in year 9 of school and above, an EHCP will also include provisions to help prepare them for transitioning into adulthood.

Who can get an EHCP?

An EHCP is designed for students who require more support than is currently available through the traditional special education needs support programme at their school or college. There are a number of different conditions, disorders, and disabilities that may mean a child or student would benefit or be entitled to an EHCP. Some examples of when this may be appropriate include:

  • Behavioural issues or trouble socialising and making friends
  • Problems with reading or writing, e.g. in the case of those with dyslexia
  • Difficulty understanding what is asked of them or what they need to do
  • Concentration problems, e.g. in the case of students with ADHD
  • Physical disabilities or health problems in disabled children

Not every student with additional learning needs or disabilities will require an EHCP, for example if they experience milder symptoms, but if you think either yourself or your child is potentially falling behind, not making expected progress, or struggling with their learning and could benefit from adaptions being made, an EHCP may be the best course of action.

If you’re unsure whether your child might have additional learning or educational needs, you can speak to the special education needs coordinator (SEN or SENCO) within your child’s school. If your child isn’t at school yet, you can speak to your local authority.

Do people with ADHD need an EHCP?

If you or your child has ADHD, you may be wondering if an EHCP may be beneficial. Well, this largely depends on the symptoms and the severity of the ADHD. If your child struggles with hyperactivity and fidgets a lot, they may benefit from additional support. The same goes for those who struggle with inattention and who have difficulty focusing to the point where their learning may be impeded.

In essence, an EHCP may be implemented if SEN support isn’t enough or where the student may benefit from additional help. Not everyone with ADHD will need an EHCP, but if you think your child does, follow the steps outlined below to request one. It is worth noting that a formal diagnosis of ADHD will go a long way to helping you get an EHCP. If you’re unable to get one from your GP due to time restraints, The ADHD Centre offers a private ADHD assessment service.

Requesting an EHCP

There are a few different routes that can be explored when it comes to requesting an EHCP. The first route is to go to your local authority yourself and ask them to do an assessment on your child if you think they may benefit from an EHCP. If you’re aged 16-25, you can request an assessment yourself.

As well as parents – teachers, doctors and health visitors can make a request to a local authority for an EHCP assessment to be carried out.

Once the decision to carry out an assessment has been made, you will need to make sure you can provide a letter written by yourself about either your child’s needs or your own needs if you’re self-referring, an assessment from a doctor relating to your child’s needs, and a report or assessment from the place of education, be it nursery or school.

This information is used to determine whether progress is being made as is, or whether additional support is needed to help the person flourish and learn. After this, an educational psychologist will carry out an assessment to determine if a special educational provision needs to be made. Your local authority will do this, or you can choose to pay for a private assessment instead. The goal is to find out what the student’s own views are, as well as specific areas of difficulty.

Once this information has been gathered, your local authority will notify you within 16 weeks if they will be moving forwards with making an EHCP for you or your child.

Making an EHCP plan

If a plan is to be made, there are three steps that are then followed:

  1. Your local authority will set out an initial draft of the EHCP they want to put in place. They will then send you a copy of the plan they think is most appropriate.
  2. From the date you receive the plan, you have 15 days to make any comments or requests. A request might be that you or your child gets moved to a specialist educational facility that focuses entirely on children with additional needs.
  3. From the date you make a request for an assessment, your local authority has 20 weeks to present you with a finalised version of the EHCP, with your comments having been taken into consideration.

EHCPs are reviewed on an annual basis. This gives you the opportunity to raise any concerns you have with the existing plan and request modifications if necessary.

EHCP disagreements

There may be instances where you don’t agree with the action that has been taken regarding an EHCP. In these cases, you can appeal to your local authority and challenge them on four points:

  • The decision to refuse to carry out an assessment
  • The decision to not create an EHCP after an assessment
  • The type of support outlined in the plan
  • The school or college that is named in the plan

Your local authority will likely liaise with you directly to try and resolve any issues you have, but if you’re unable to make headway with them, you can make an appeal with the Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Tribunal.

There’s no guarantee that having an ADHD diagnosis will mean that your local authority will put an EHCP into place, or that your child necessarily needs one; however, it’s important to know that there are options available if you feel like you or your child is not able to reach their full potential currently.

ADHD support and advice at The ADHD Centre

If you or your child has ADHD and would like to explore private treatment options, we have a number of leading experts here at The ADHD Centre who can help. We routinely work with local authorities to implement EHCPs.

Alternatively, you can book a private ADHD assessment online if you think you or your child has ADHD but you don’t yet have a diagnosis.

If you’d like further information about the services we provide, please contact us by calling 0800 061 4276, or email us at

The ADHD Centre

599 Wilmslow Rd, Manchester M20 3QD, UK


ADHD Centre in London
85 Wimpole St., Marylebone London, W1G 9RJ, UK


Postal Address
13304 PO Box 6945 London W1A 6US

The ADHD Centre

Who We Are

We are a team of experienced Consultant Psychiatrists, Psychologists and ADHD Behavioural Coaches.

We have been diagnosing and treating people with ADHD since 2009.

Important Links

Follow Us

Join Our Facebook Group Community and Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for the Latest Tips, Tools, Strategies and Information to Help You Manage Your ADHD

Find Us On Facebook

Follow Us On Instagram

Subscribe To Our Youtube Channel

Copyright © The ADHD Centre 2024