Breakfast is an integral meal for people with ADHD. It provides the initial proteins that they will need to get through the day. However, some tend to overlook the importance of a well-balanced diet and just settle with some coffee. This habit might work for ordinary people, but not for people with ADHD. Coffee alone is not breakfast, nor is good for your ADHD symptoms. What you want is a morning meal loaded with the necessary ADHD vitamins and minerals needed to get through the day.
Challenges In The Morning
How we make your breakfast will either make or break your entire day. We’re pretty much aware of this, yet we still tend to forget it. The main reason is that our ADHD brain forces us to struggle with our daily morning routines, e.g., waking up on time, getting ready for work, driving the kids to school before going to work. Since you’re already behind schedule, you settle for some fast food and treat it as an adequate breakfast. But it’s not. No matter substitute you make, nothing is quite like eating the right food.
The Importance of Breakfast
ADHD experts recommend eating nutritious food that’s both high in protein and healthy fats. Your breakfast should have a healthy and well-balanced breakfast that will help you stay fuller for longer. Eating breakfast in the morning also promotes the production of dopamine and norepinephrine, two chemicals that are often lacking among ADHD people. You should avoid sugars and carbohydrates as they can potentially cause your blood sugar to spike and promote the emergence of hyperactive symptoms. To help you with your breakfast preparation, here are seven quick breakfast ideas that you should try out. To save you from cramming in the morning, we made sure that preparation of each one is easy and quick to prepare – 15 minutes at most. Try each recipe now and jump-start your day.
Here are the New Breakfast Treatment ADHD Ideas
Avocados are a delicious source of protein. It’s creamy and rich texture will always be a welcoming sight to any breakfast table. It’s also loaded with other nutrients that will provide you with the necessary energies to get through the day. Preparing avocado toast is simple, easy, and fast.
- Chop open a whole avocado and mash them until you have a thick and creamy consistency.
- Toast two slices of whole-wheat bread on a pan.
- Spread a thick layer of mashed avocado onto the toast.
- Enhance the flavour by sprinkling salt, red pepper flakes, or a small drizzle of lemon juice.
There you have it, a healthy and delicious avocado toast for breakfast. The high amounts of protein, healthy fats and fibre make this breakfast one of the simplest yet complete meals among the bunch. It’s an easy-to-prepare meal for people with ADHD who struggle to prepare breakfast in the morning.
Just like avocados, eggs are also rich in protein that will give you the energy needed to start your day and get things done early. Unlike fried eggs, this version is healthier and less oily. That means you’re getting nothing more than just the content coming from the egg. Preparing hard boiled eggs is easier, and you can even prepare them ahead, so all you have to do is get them out of the fridge. Heat them again, and chow! On Sunday night, make sure you boil at least ten eggs and store them in your fridge. Your breakfast for the entire week is now ready. All you have to do is take two per day until you reach the weekends.
To hard-boil an egg, all you have to do is the following:
- Boil a pot of water until boiling point.
- Place your eggs inside the pot and wait for eight to 10 minutes.
- Drain, place in icy water to cool.
- Peel and enjoy.
The Breakfast Burrito
Smashing the snooze button is a common theme for ADHD people in the morning. We frequently do this up to the point where we no longer have the time to prepare our own breakfast and prepare for work. Having a big breakfast can go a long way towards you having a great and positive day. If you don’t have the time to make a big breakfast, you can always compromise with a breakfast burrito.
Here’s how to make our special breakfast burrito:
- Start by scrambling two eggs
- Before the scrambled eggs cook, add a fistful of spinach and other chopped veggies of your choice.
- Melt some cheese on a rustic tortilla dough.
- Roll the tortilla on the table and start adding the eggs. You can also add other ingredients to make it even healthier, e.g., avocados or pre-cooked sausage.
- Fold it, roll it, and voila! It’s all done.
It might look like a long to-do list for breakfast, but the breakfast burrito actually comes together rather quickly than you’d think. It’s a quick-to-make meal that’s perfect for breakfast or on the go. In addition, the variety of ingredients found in the breakfast burrito will stave off boredom. Fast, easy, quick to make, the breakfast burrito is and loaded with the ingredients necessary to get you stuffed and have you ready to face whatever the day throws at you.
If you want to get all the nutrients and energies you need, you should not count oatmeal out of the discussion. Oatmeals may get a bad rap for being bland and not flavourful at all, but it’s actually one of the easiest and healthiest breakfast choices. Since oats are made of whole grain, they typically cook quicker, thus saving you the time and effort of having to prepare your breakfast.
To add some much-needed flavour to your oatmeal, you can also add some of your favourite fruits, dab some brown sugar, or add some syrup. If you want quick and effortless preparation, you can try instant oatmeals that are already flavoured. Else, you can try the original variant and complement it with some fruits to improve its taste.
Peanut Butter With Banana Toast
There are a plethora of options that you can do with plain toast, one being the combination of creamy peanut butter and mashed bananas. This delightful and decadent treat is a sweet and healthy take for your breakfast. There are two versions of this toast: one being mashing the banana and mixing it with the peanut butter, or just slicing and placing it on top of your peanut butter toast. Either way, you can also top it with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar, honey or even some granola if you’re looking for some crunchiness.
Here’s the preparation for both version of the peanut butter and banana toast:
Peanut Butter + Mashed bananas
- Mash two whole bananas until they have this creamy consistency
- On a separate container mix the mashed bananas with thick and creamy low-fat peanut butter.
- Toast two slices of whole-wheat bread.
- Spread a thick layer of your mixture onto the toast.
- Enhance the flavour with cinnamon, sugar, or honey.
Peanut Butter + Sliced bananas
- Peel & slice two whole bananas into small pieces.
- Toast two slices of whole-wheat bread.
- Spread a thick layer of thick and creamy, low-fat peanut butter onto the toasts.
- Sprinkle the sliced bananas on top.
- Add a thin layer of cinnamon, sugar, or honey.
Impromptu Breakfast Pizza
When you’re already on the rush and have yet to prepare your breakfast, it’s important to improvise and create recipes that, while filled with random ingredients, is still healthy and flavourful. If you’re looking to have a full breakfast, we suggest you try our impromptu breakfast pizza — it’s called impromptu because you don’t gather the ingredients ahead of time. Instead, you get whatever it is you see in your fridge and just add them onto your pizza. But for the purpose of example, here’s our version of an impromptu breakfast pizza:
- Toast a muffin in your fridge until it crisps.
- Add two tablespoons of dry, evaporated milk to a cup of used spaghetti sauce. Heat up the mixture.
- Sprinkle some cheddar cheese and used meat you can find in the fridge. Keep the heat high until the cheese has fully melted.
Just because it’s made from leftovers doesn’t’ mean it’s not a healthy breakfast. Our version of the breakfast pizza provides Calcium, Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin C & A, Riboflavin, and complex Carbs. If already have leftover pizza, it can also serve this purpose pretty well.
Who says you can’t have ice cream in the morning? Sundaes are a fun and light alternative if you prefer not stuffing your stomach in the morning. Here’s how you can prepare this healthy and easy sundae:
- Scoop two cups of instant oatmeal.
- Instead of water, you should mix it with cream.
- Divide it evenly into two bowls or sundae dishes if you have one.
- Scoop vanilla ice cream on top of the oatmeal and sprinkle a teaspoon of preserves on top of the ice cream for flavour and aesthetic purposes.
- Slide two whole bananas and surround them onto your sundae. Add nuts according to your preference.
- Finish off with two tablespoons of brown sugar or dry milk.
- You can also add some fruits to taste: raisins, peaches, pears, and apples will work wonders.
The Breakfast sundae provides Calcium, Protein, Carbs, Potassium, Vitamin A, C, & D, Phosphorus, Iron, Niacin, and Riboflavin. It’s light yet full of flavour. You’ll definitely want to have this one as your breakfast at some point into the week.
Get Expert Help For Your ADHD!
You will enjoy your breakfast more when you have full control over your ADHD. That’s why you need to get help in trying to manage it. If you’re faced with having ADHD, you will tend to constantly forget making your breakfast. However, with the right treatment program, you can start turning things around and get your life back.
If you want to start getting organised and whip up the best breakfast every day, you should get help right away. So book an appointment to your nearest local ADHD clinic today to seek treatment and get a proper diagnosis as early as possible. If you live on or near London or Manchester, you’ll be relieved to know that the ADHD Centre is currently operating in these areas.
The ADHD Centre offers holistic ADHD treatment and cares for both children and adults. We are also affiliated with other ADHD clinics and organisations to maximise our services. Are you living within UK? Lovely! We also offer online assessment via Skype. So wherever you are in UK, know that the ADHD Centre is always available for your ADHD needs.
Get The Best Out Of Your Breakfast
As severe as your ADHD may be, you should not use it as an excuse to make the best breakfast. There are so many ideas that you can try to whip up the best breakfast to get your morning started. The best breakfast ever will automatically translate to the best day ever. So use our ideas or your own to make the ideal breakfast.